Sunday, September 21, 2008

How can you separate twins?

Growing up I learned that everything is possible and what is reality today can easily become an illusion tomorrow. Talking to my best Serbian friend, I realized that it is always the same story. Religion: this great belief that pulls people of the same faith so close together separating them from their own selves. How else can I understand what separate Lebanon from Syria? or Kosovo from Serbia or Serbian Bosnia from Bosnia...

Listening to Lebanese today talking about how sad it is to divide their country into cantons follow different parties or cults reminded me how sad I feel that they chose to divide our Syria into smaller divisions.

So many questions are lining up in my head I can hardly find answers for. A history of division, embraced always by hollow slogans calling for liberty, independence, and deciding destiny. Trying to find answers to my questions, I researched history. I am not a historian nor I claim to be, However I know for a fact that we have the same race, same history, same languages over the centuries, and same lifespan, So how were we separated?

It was for sure a very lengthy operation, best surgeons of France, Britain, and more recently the United States worked on it. Local advisers and assistants were essential for the process to succeed, ironically there were always tons of them ready to help.

They grew the twins apart, giving more wealth to younger brother and spoiling him with all the gimmicks to convince him that the older brother is the past to be ashamed of and the loony in a pond of mud.

Today I am sad to announce that the operation was successful. But it still huts, and it will still hurt until the end of time. Because through the process they had to divide the heart of every true Syrian in 4 and I am afraid that the future is bleak and the only light I see is the explosion that will break my Syria into more pieces.

I love you Syria, and i will always believe in you.

No comments: